Sunday, April 7, 2013

It's PR, darling! Branding an author, and other interesting pastimes





All-new, value for money, always satisfied...

Why do I feel like I'm...well, you know - SELLING myself?
 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One thing I have learned over the past two years, is that I am responsible for my own PR. The key word of the moment is 'branding'. I'm not unfamiliar with the idea, having worked as a spin doctor for various organisations in my post-Uni years.

So, authors must work on developing their own brands. 

So, J.B. Thomas becomes a brand. How can I make it recognisable?

It's a challenging thought. I'm a person. Do I try to become well known in the way that someone like Obama has? I don't have millions to spend, nor do I have access to big media. And when J.K. Rowling comes to mind, all I can think of is wizards. It's hard to wrap my head around it, to see an author as a brand, as opposed to the books.


But I'm trying! My social media profile includes:
  
Facebook pages:
  • Author page for J.B. Thomas
  • Fan page (Ferryman Chronicles)
  • Halloween Giveaway USA
Twitter account
Goodreads Author profile and discussion group, moderated by me (Writing for Young Adults) 
Mammon book trailer on my YouTube account
Amazon Author Central profile
Google Circles profile
Linked In account
Blog
Website (under construction)

These things all take time and dedication. I try to blog twice a week and list a new writing task on the Goodreads discussion group each fortnight.  It's good to try and link your blog posts to other accounts, such as Twitter, Facebook and Linked In.

I think this is how it works, but I'm still learning.

Question: 

What is your take on author branding? Should we do it, or just focus on writing? Am I right in what I am doing, or am I missing something?

And, if you have time: what are some essential items for an author website? 

Would love to hear your thoughts, sweetie darlings....

The former PR guru,

JB xx

1 comment:

  1. All this PR-ing sure can keep us busy, JB! But you know the saying - if you're self-employed, you have to spend at least as much time working ON the business as working IN it!

    ReplyDelete