Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Here we go again...should we write every day, or not?

I've discussed this idea before, but it's worth revisiting. Every now and then I come across authors who say that we MUST write every day. Some of these authors are flexible - and allow the definition of 'writing' to include blog posts, character bios, etc - but others insist that it be manuscript work.

Tonight, I've been looking over my latest work. It's obvious to me that some of this writing was done on a day when I didn't feel like writing, while another part was completed during an inspired three hours one night. The difference is incredible. The second part is much, much better, with vibrant, believable dialogue and character development. The first part is...dare I say - BORING!

I think I need to find a middle ground. I teach full time. In a high school. With some very challenging students. I'm tired at the end of the day. But to have a writing career, I need to commit to writing daily, or at least every second day. But there are some days when it's better for my writing health to back away from the computer, rest and dream a little.

JB xxx

3 comments:

  1. I've thought a lot about this too. What's worked for me is powering through it regardless how I feel, knowing that I'll be going over it again and again during the editing stage. I think taking breaks from writing is healthy as well. I finished my second book after an intense writing pace and I've taken a week off to regroup before I tackle my next project. I think whatever you decide it's important to find something that works for you and stick with it. Happy writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's more about the regularity, than everyday. You burn out on any job you do every day. Plus, I find solutions to writing issues when I take breaks. You just need to keep the breaks short and find your routine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, guys. I think we agree that a balanced approach works best!

    ReplyDelete